For the past two years I have been really obsessing over face masks. I am not sure what happened, but all of a sudden I thought I should try a face mask. All of the masks I am reviewing are the ones I have used at least five times. Some I will rave about and some I will not. I have tried some homemade ones, but sometimes after a long day it is just a lot simpler to slip on a mask, turn on Netflix and relax. My sister and I share a love of face masks. We always sit down and snap chat our scary faces to our friends. Our dogs love to bark at us when we put different colored masks on (like a green one). My boyfriend always pokes fun at me for using face masks especially the one made out of food. (He believes we should only use food for food…whatevs *inserts hand emoji*) I LOVE FACE MASKS! There’s something about that feeling when your face feels fresh. It is almost like you’re a new person. Anyway, enough with the rambling, here are my reviews:
- Boscia Aluminizing Black Mask (Peel off) from Sephora $34
This mask gets mixed reviews. I know some people who love it and some people who can do without it. I am just going to get to the point…I don’t love it nor do I hate it. I would suggest to use it on the parts of your face that absolutely needs it. The first time I used it, I almost cried trying to peel it off. It hurts so bad! Use a light coat. I do love the peel off concept! It is awesome not to have to wash if off…I mean i already wiped off my makeup, washed my face and now I have to wash this mask off? Ugh. It is amazing what skin care has come to. This might gross some people out, but it is really cool to see everything that comes off when you peel the mask off! It’s 34 dollars which is expensive (in my opinion) especially since I have other masks I love and make my face feel better for way less. Sooo…
2. Cucumber Sheet Mask for sensitive skin from Forever 21 $1Whenever I am in Forever 21 I always have to pick up at least three of these. They are so easy and inexpensive! This particular one makes my skin feel like I was born yesterday. My face is really sensitive AND I have mild eczema so I was scared to try this because, c’mon Forever 21 selling skin care? I was curious one day and tried it, and I am so glad I did. It is a sheet mask so you take it out of the package, unravel it, relax for 15 minutes and rub in whatever is left on your face. It is good for the middle of the week when you can only afford a quick spa treatment. I usually use these when I’m reading a book, folding laundry and watching Netflix or writing a blog post! Oh! If you are wondering, it’s paraben free, not tested on animals, hypo allergenic and made in the US. Also, ONE DOLLAR.
3. Papaya Face Mask/Shine Away from Forever 21 $3.90I was in a rush in this photo so excuse my poor application. (This photo is also an ode to my wannabe emo, myspace pictures)
This mask is really cool because it has a reusable cap. I’m not found of this particular scent, but it doesn’t bother me. It has dead sea mud, papaya and other natural ingredients. This one is the mask where my dogs bark at me. I cannot say I have seen a difference on my face so I am going to have to say, I can do without this one. I think the only reason I bought it was because of the price and the cap.
4. The Therapy Anti-Aging Facial Mask from The Face Shop $38I found this mask when I went to The 626 Night Market in Arcadia this summer. The Face Shop had a booth and I was asked to spin the wheel. I ended up winning this face mask! I was beyond excited (more than the food honestly…don’t tell my boyfriend. Wait, I cannot count out that watermelon drink!) I haven’t tried anything from The Face Shop so I was curious and eager to try it out. I loved the face mask! It is actually an over night mask so after cleansing your face you just pop it on and go to bed. EASY! It does not really have a distinct smell so that’s okay. I did feel refreshed when I woke up in the morning so that’s great. The only bummer is that when I went online to see how much it was I found out it’s 38 dollars. Um, no. As much as I love it, I would not pay 38 dollars for a face mask. Boo. I ended up saving the last two samples (I won six samples) for a special occasion.
5. Sephora Sheet Masks Ginseng & Green Tea $6 Sephora carries their own brand of skin care. I specifically love these sheet masks! They are so refreshing and I actually see a difference after consistent usage. The ginseng and green tea are my favorites out of the collection. There are eight in the whole collection. I have raved about these to my friends and I have even gifted them. They’re great overall. Also, six bucks is perfect! The only thing I would say is that the mask itself is HUGE! I’m too lazy to trim it or fold it, so my hairline gets a weird texture after using the mask, but its not a big deal. I just thought I should point that out…ahem, Sephora. I actually love all of the different masks, but these two are the ones I feel actually make a difference.
I could rave about Lush for a long time, so I am going to try to keep this short. As much as I love just rubbing in a sheet mask and calling it a day, this brand is worth getting up and washing the mask off. Let me just fangirl over the company for a second. Lush is all about fresh ingredients, fighting animal testing, other ethical campaigns and are extremely charitable to other causes (Hello, SD Coastkeeper). Every bottle, tube and packaging has a label with the person who handmade the product for you which is really awesome! Their staff is so friendly, knowledgeable about the products and are ready to give you an arm massage full of product. I must have tried all of the face masks there and I came out of the store feeling like I went to a massage place. Their bath bombs are amazeballs too, but that’s a whole other post.
I actually bought Oatifix (which is the one my boyfriend makes fun of me for) and let me tell you…it feels like you are putting oatmeal cookies on your face. It smells heavenly and my face feels so smooth after using it. This is not self preserving so you have to keep it in the fridge. It also has an expiration date so use it up! I used this when I was sun burnt and it cooled down my face and took away the redness. If you have irritated skin, use this.
My sister actually bought Mask of Magnaminty. After the first use, I was in love. It’s good for many problems, but I love it for my dry skin. As mentioned before, I get eczema flare ups and sometimes I just want to dump a whole lotion bottle on my face! haha! After using this it calms me and my skin down. It has China clay and fresh peppermint to clear your pores, which it actually does. It has the best minty feeling after you wash it off too! Overall, Lush products trump all the face masks (in my opinion). I buy the small bottles because they last me a long time. My favorite thing to do is use this mask, turn on a bath using their bath bombs and relax. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.
I hope you all found this useful and if you have a face mask you think I should try, comment down below. Also, if you want me to review something else, comment down below! I had a great time sharing my love of face masks with you all. Tag me in your face mask photos too or use the hashtag #thebrokegirlfashionista
All opinions are my own. I am not affiliated with any of these brands.