I apologize for posting this late, lets just say food poisoning can knock a girl out. Anyway, thanks for hanging in there! I am so excited to post this DIY because it is my first (of many) DIY post. This project was inspired by my sister’s amazing office/vanity room. My sister Brittni has been keeping her eye out for a very specific jewelry dish to add to her lovely room. After many photos and many no’s I finally gave up and decided a DIY project would be perfect! So, here it goes:
- Table Cover – Dollar Tree Between the paint and glue, it’s always a good idea to cover your table.
- Candle Holder – Michaels Although, the Dollar Tree usually carries them! My Dollar Tree just did not have it this time.
- Small Dish – Target Dollar Tree was really out of stock this weekend.
- Base/Large Dish – Target You can pick any shape you want as long as it’s larger than the other dish.
- Paint – Target I highly recommend using spray paint instead of the acrylic paint. I thought I had gold spray paint already and I was going to use the paint for something else.
- Sponge Brush – Michaels Not necessary if you use spray paint.
- E6000 Glue – Michaels This stuff is amazing!
- Gold Metallic Paint Pen – Michaels Make sure it’s a pen you can use on glass.
- Black Paint Pen – Michaels
- Tape – I recommend using painters tape (Duh, Bri!)
Let’s get started!
Next, brainstorm a design for the base dish. I chose to paint the corners gold. Use the (painter’s) tape to cover the area that is not going to be painted. Tip: Wait until the paint is completely dry to take the tape off.
While your first coat of paint is drying, start designing your top dish. I decided to go with polka dots because I was using my Kate Spade polka dot phone case as my inspiration. Draw circles using the base color, and then the top color.
I decided to paint the rim of the top dish gold just so it looks more cohesive with the bottom dish. Apply the second coat of paint to the bottom dish and the candle holder. Tip: Have a dance party while waiting for the paint to dry. Fortunate for you, I filmed mine and posted it to my Instagram! Enjoy!
When the paint is completely dry, glue the candle holder to the center of the bottom dish using the E6000 glue. After, glue the top dish to the candle holder. Make any necessary last-minute touches. Just add some jewelry and you’re done! Easy!
I hope you liked this DIY project. It’s really great to put in your vanity room or on your night stand! If you try this DIY be sure to tag me on Instagram @thebrokegirlfashionista so I can see your creative skills. Let’s have a great week everyone!
Also, can I mention this rain happening in SoCal?! Maybe we do get a fall season after all! Drive safe out there!
My dress is from Forever 21.